Ethereum Blog

A message from Stephan Tual

Introduction

Stephan Tual

CCO at Ethereum. Passionate about the potential for social change engendered by blockchain technology.

LATEST POSTS

Ethereum Protocol Update 1 04th August, 2015

The Thawing Frontier 04th August, 2015

announcement

A message from Stephan Tual

Posted on .

To the wonderful Ethereum Community,

You often heard me say at conferences that Ethereum was not a company, a foundation, an implementation, or an individual. Ethereum is both an idea and an ideal, encompassing the first censorship-resistant network build specifically to enable those who need it the most to safely trade, privately self-organise and freely communicate, rather than relying on the crippled walled garden handed out by the powers that be.

Due to divergence in personal values, Eth/Dev and I have mutually decided to part ways. I of course intend to continue promoting the Ethereum ideals and bring about a world-class, mainstream platform to build a new breed of decentralized applications. From now on, you’ll be able to email me at stephan@ursium.com, read my articles and tutorials on blog.ursium.com, or follow me at @stephantual.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your incredible enthusiasm and passion, helping pioneer what I believe is the most significant piece of software concept the world has ever seen. Your commitment inspired me, and on many occasions helped me keep going through a year and half of incredibly hard work.

See you very soon,

Stephan

profile

Stephan Tual

Comments
user

Author Dima Starodubcev

Posted at 2:36 pm September 3, 2015.

Smells like there is a hidden trick. Stephan! Thanks for what you’ve done for make Ethereum happen!

Of course like any Ethereum investors I’d like to know details about divergence in personal values 🙁 Could you enclose risks for Ethereum platform associated with such a divergence? Canary contracts still exist and under control of Eth/Dev…

Author Des Kenny

Posted at 8:35 pm September 3, 2015.

Personally think there was a hint to the reason in the excellent and very honest interview given by Vitalik recently on epicenterbitcoin. I suspect there was a long running tension there and clash of values.

Author Frank Nuzzo

Posted at 3:36 am September 7, 2015.

I’m not taking sides at this time, but the hint that I got was that (still limited information) Stephan accusing Vitalik of using foundation assets in a way that was not approved by the foundation? I’m still not understanding the conflict in values. I thought that both were voluntaryist in values. And I haven’t heard (or understood) anything from anyone else in the foundation. But regardless, if miltisig was implemented in ethereum and the foundation had a policy for asset transfers (at least in “large amounts”), then there would be no issue, right? That’s what was done with the bitcoin crowd funding, no? I thought that the whole point of blockchain technology was decentralization. How did this happen?

Author Aran

Posted at 6:50 pm September 7, 2015.

Which interview is this? EB91?

Author Des Kenny

Posted at 7:32 pm September 7, 2015.

yes, eb91… towards the end. He might not have been specifically talking about one person, but he talked about regrets he had choosing the founders and “cultural misalignments” … those who can code vs people who just stand around a lot. Start around 1:04

Author Aran

Posted at 8:20 pm September 7, 2015.

Thanks, downloading now 🙂

Author Fabian Vogelsteller

Posted at 2:39 pm September 3, 2015.

Its sad to see you go, i really appreciated your ethic.
The Ethereum project got a lot from you and i’m looking forward for more!

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 2:41 pm September 3, 2015.

Thank you very much Fabian.

Author Child Harold

Posted at 2:57 pm September 3, 2015.

This is most dissatisfying and I am unhappy with the way this has been handled. That you are unable to resolve your differences is remarkable to me and what the hell is ursium btw? This release should have come from the Team /Stephan simultaneouly. Stephan may well have done a lot for Ethereum but he’s also made substantial profits which one presumes he’ll inject into his next project. Good luck I guess even though at this time I really dont mean it. Poor show, a bientôt.

Author Jack

Posted at 4:11 pm September 3, 2015.

That’s a hell of a lot of opinion, conjecture and venom based on absolutely zero knowledge of the situation.

Author Anthony Cros

Posted at 3:11 pm September 3, 2015.

It’s worrisome because you recently raised some serious – and it seems valid – concerns regarding the waste of resources by the foundation. Thanks a lot for all the hard work.

Author Aurel IANCU

Posted at 3:18 pm September 3, 2015.

Sad to see this blog post. Happy that you are moving on ! Thank you for all your support !

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 3:51 pm September 4, 2015.

It was quite the adventure Aurel, I know you’re one of the most active Ethereum fans and I’m grateful I got the chance to enjoy your enthusiasm! See you around soon!

Author It’s Not An Ξrror

Posted at 3:18 pm September 3, 2015.

Trop triste de te voir partir maintenant… ton impulsion et la passion que tu as déployé depuis 1 an et 9 mois vont sérieusement manquer à Ethereum.

Author ffmad

Posted at 3:34 pm September 3, 2015.

Sad to see you go, you brought a lot of people to the Ethereum project. Wish you a lot of success with what comes next !

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 3:49 pm September 4, 2015.

Thank you ffmad, I’ll be around, no worries 🙂

Author Lefteris Karapetsas

Posted at 4:16 pm September 3, 2015.

Stephan it’s really sad to see you go. We are definitely losing a valuable member in you. I am very proud to have worked alongside you and wish you success and luck in your future ventures.

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 3:46 pm September 4, 2015.

Thank you Lefteris, that’s very kind!

Author Karl Chappé

Posted at 4:52 pm September 3, 2015.

Wish you the best

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 3:45 pm September 4, 2015.

Thanks Karl, if Eurostar ever works again, I’ll come and visit you at the next meetup in Paris! 🙂

Author liondani

Posted at 5:31 pm September 3, 2015.

time to buy cheap ether’s, well done!

Author Roland Kofler

Posted at 5:40 pm September 3, 2015.

Damn!

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 3:49 pm September 4, 2015.

I think you were one of the first I had chat with Roland 🙂 Thank you!

Author Roland Kofler

Posted at 10:06 pm September 4, 2015.

I am only saying you deserved more, and i am angry! Seen from the outside, with the little information that the closed society passes, it seems l’enfant prodige has surpassed his limits and I understand why you can’t bear it.

(Vitalik, if you read this: I would also double check what the f*ck a Schelling Point really is. You might get surprised.)

Author Manfred Karrer

Posted at 5:58 pm September 3, 2015.

Sad to hear that Stephan. All the best for your future plans!

Author Victoria

Posted at 6:10 pm September 3, 2015.

Thanks for this post and letting us know, Stephan!

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 3:48 pm September 4, 2015.

Cheers Victoria – good luck with Changetip 🙂

Author Rob Myers

Posted at 7:23 pm September 3, 2015.

I’m sorry to hear that Eth/Dev are losing you. You’ve been a tireless and effective advocate for Ethereum and I look forward to seeing how you continue that with Ursium.

Author Tyler Welmans

Posted at 11:39 pm September 3, 2015.

You’ll be missed. Appreciate all you’ve done.

Author Christopher Franko

Posted at 3:21 am September 4, 2015.

lol love the rhetoric in this post.

Author Paul Paschos

Posted at 9:54 pm September 4, 2015.

Thanks for all your hard work Stephan! We had some fun times in Toronto at the beginning of this crazy adventure!

Author Stephan Tual

Posted at 8:46 pm September 7, 2015.

Hey thanks Paul! Indeed it was quite the adventure. Remember trying to get these cameras and mikes set up? Fun times! (kind of :))

Author Zhou

Posted at 2:56 am September 7, 2015.

Chinese people all like you, thank you for everything

Author Nathaniel Møøre

Posted at 7:16 pm June 17, 2016.

Can you please unblock me from your twitter Stephen, I’ve been retweeting most of your posts for a year. I dont see what the problem was. @jupiter00000 would like to see your posts – because you’re kind of a leader in the community. Thanks. I will no longer tag you if you like. A simple request would have been more polite.