Ethereum Blog

LATEST POSTS

Ethereum R&D Roundup: Valentine’s Day Edition 14th February, 2017

December Roundup 31st December, 2016

announcement

Hard Fork Completed

Posted on .

We would like to congratulate the Ethereum community on a successfully completed hard fork. Block 1920000 contained the execution of an irregular state change which transferred ~12 million ETH from the “Dark DAO” and “Whitehat DAO” contracts into the WithdrawDAO recovery contract. The fork itself took place smoothly, with roughly 85% of miners mining on the fork:

the-moment-ethereum-historically-hardforked

You can see ongoing fork progress here. EthStats shows Go, Java and Parity (Rust) nodes successfully synchronized to the fork chain.

The recovery contract is already returning DAO token holders’ ether; about 4.5 million ETH has been sent to DAO token holders, and about 463000 ETH is in the control of the curator; a contract to facilitate extrabalance payments is currently undergoing security review.

Users who are interested only in participating in the fork chain should upgrade their clients to a fork-compatible version if they have not already done so; the upgraded Go client (version 1.4.10) is available here. If any users continue to be interested in following the non-fork chain, they should still update, but run with the --oppose-dao-fork flag enabled, though they should beware of transaction replay attacks and take appropriate steps to guard against them; users with no interest in the non-fork chain do not need to worry about transaction replay attack concerns.

We thank our developers and the community for working together to make the transition as smooth as it has been, and look forward to working together to continue to make the Ethereum ecosystem and protocol a success.

profile

Vitalik Buterin

Comments
user

Author JD

Posted at 8:33 pm July 20, 2016.

Good job!

Author Eric Botticelli

Posted at 8:39 pm July 20, 2016.

Do I have to recover my ETH from my DAO tokens by a certain date?

Author sillytuna

Posted at 9:01 pm July 20, 2016.

Not as far as we know. However, I’m encouraging people to claim immediately in case of any further exploits. There will be no other rescue act.

Author Dante Monaldo

Posted at 11:27 pm July 21, 2016.

How do I recover my ETH from DAO tokens? Do I update Mist?

Author krishna

Posted at 8:39 pm July 20, 2016.

good job guys

Author vm_mpn

Posted at 9:48 pm July 20, 2016.

Congratulations are in order… Coming from Bitcoin eco it was amazing to witness how Ethereum community struggled to find it’s own path… And it did today. Independence status achieved.

Author Berlin

Posted at 10:01 pm July 20, 2016.

how can i withdraw my DAo Token in ETH?

Author Adam Studenik

Posted at 10:10 pm July 20, 2016.

Viva la democracia 🙂

Author erikbjareholt

Posted at 10:41 pm July 20, 2016.

Crisis diverted. Well done Vitalik, the Ethereum team and the community! Bright times ahead, lessons surely learned.

Author Stateless Man

Posted at 12:44 am July 21, 2016.

What was the lesson that was learned?

Author Dan Bolser

Posted at 9:58 am July 21, 2016.

Hey, I was thinking, why not hard fork and pay out DOUBLE what you put in? That would be PRETTY SWEET!

Author Dan Bolser

Posted at 5:41 am August 28, 2016.

Turns out that’s what they did! Lol.

Author Green Atheist

Posted at 11:59 pm July 22, 2016.

Am sure this is not the last time someone puts smart contracts with (undiscovered) bugs in them
    Guessing if Ethereum gets large enough, they will just have to bite the bullet next time on..

Author Juan

Posted at 11:08 pm July 20, 2016.

If I bought my tokens at 1.5 ETH ratio, should I still wait until the extra balance payments undergo the security review? I mean, would it be totally stupid to try claim the extra balance ETH right now that you’re returning at 1 ETH ratio?

Author Michael Kunz

Posted at 11:26 pm July 20, 2016.

Awesome job guys!

Author Joe

Posted at 11:33 pm July 20, 2016.

Could some of the extrabalance be used to fund the creation of fully open source ethereum wallet compatible with smartphones?

Author Eli Bradley

Posted at 12:42 am July 21, 2016.

Ethereum Foundation ÐΞVgrants is already funding Syng.

Author Joe

Posted at 2:05 am July 21, 2016.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Although https://syng.io/ was unreachable, http://syng.io/ redirected me to https://status.im/ where I found info about the new project called “Status”. It sounds promising. The name is a bit too generic, though.

Author Eli Bradley

Posted at 2:15 am July 21, 2016.

Huh. Doesn’t appear that they’ve open sourced their new app, “Status,” as you’ve pointed out. Or maybe their website just shows mockups of the app. Either way, the original Syng app’s source is at https://github.com/status-im/syng-client

Author Swapster_com

Posted at 11:44 pm July 20, 2016.

Congrats… I am guessing you’ve not gotten much sleep. Go get some rest and then some well deserved celebration. The Ethereum team kicks ass…. the future looks bright.

Author mez

Posted at 11:54 pm July 20, 2016.

i was wondering, can i spent my ethereum on both chains seperate?

Author Eli Bradley

Posted at 11:55 pm July 20, 2016.

Yes, if you had it before block 1920000, it counts for both ETH and ETHC.

Author mez

Posted at 7:52 pm July 25, 2016.

Author Mats-Erik Pistol

Posted at 12:05 am July 21, 2016.

I’ve sold all my eth because of this fork. I like math more than the whims of democracy.

Author Jon Kostyniuk

Posted at 12:36 am July 21, 2016.

That’s cool. Competing currencies are a good thing. It’s your prerogative and your money. I, too, am skeptical of the whims of democracy, however will take my chances for now.

Author Shakedog

Posted at 12:48 am July 21, 2016.

We’re still working towards the original vision. The fork has not set a precedence. I hope this becomes clearer as time goes by.

Author SambodhiPrem

Posted at 1:34 am July 21, 2016.

“The fork has not set a precedence.”
      Really? Any reading you can suggest to support this point?

Author Shakedog

Posted at 2:49 am July 21, 2016.

Obviously I can’t prove that a future hard fork won’t happen anymore than a person could prove that it would. As one of the foremost experts in the field, I’ll take Vitalik’s words over what I read on Reddit or Twitter any day:

Mr. Buterin told The Wall Street Journal. He said the reason he supports the fork is that Ethereum is still in its development stages and isn’t fully formed. As it grows, forks like this will be harder to do.

“I don’t think the way things are done right now are precedent-setting,” he added. Mr. Buterin acknowledged that the hard fork won’t satisfy everyone.

Author sLy5aM

Posted at 3:33 am July 21, 2016.

Ya, I sold on the pump too.

Author Alex Darby

Posted at 8:34 pm July 22, 2016.

Bet you regret that now.

Author Non-mask-able Interrupt

Posted at 2:41 am July 21, 2016.

Congratulations are not in order. The best way to solve a disaster is to avoid it entirely. While I support the actions taken, they should not have been necessary. I am glad we managed to rectify the issue without any long term damage or financial loss. (besides the reputation and embarrassment to the system and ultimately the developers as a whole)

Next time, ( if there is such an unlikely event ) I am sure sympathy will not be anywhere near as forthcoming this time. Let us pretend that we are building a resilient system that is tested before being implemented. Software folks like “FEATURES” … sadly “FEATURES” lead to bugs. Can I please please please beg you to resist the urge to add features and spend much more time on testing.

For example, if “we” are all in a room, and there is this awkward silence and no one knows what to say… may I suggest that the first things to focus on is BUGS/SPEED IMPROVEMENTS and SCALABILITY. Right now there are PLENTY of features! Thanks for all your hard word on everything!!! Ethereum is amazing. Buy now is the time to make it better, faster and more reliable. Let’s make Robocop, then we can build him a spaceship to the moon. K? 😉

Author Shakedog

Posted at 3:00 am July 21, 2016.

You could at least congratulate them due to the fact that this was a fairly technical endeavor with no shortage of people saying there could be problems and regardless of your position on the matter, they managed to pull it off beautifully.

Author BDUB

Posted at 10:30 pm July 21, 2016.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around how this guy seems to think that fixing bugs and improving speed/scalability, don’t also introduce bugs.

Author Eddie J

Posted at 5:31 am July 21, 2016.

Congrats, the Ethereum ecosystem will benefit from the new capital.

Author William Mougayar

Posted at 6:40 am July 21, 2016.

One could say it was a “hard” decision 😃.

Author William Wanklyn

Posted at 3:57 pm July 22, 2016.

And a good one. Congratulations all.

Author Grumpys view

Posted at 4:02 pm July 21, 2016.

Uhhh, so any transaction can be rolled back anytime? There goes the digital coin.

Author Shakedog

Posted at 5:40 am July 23, 2016.

No. As time goes on, hard forks become increasingly difficult to execute.

Author Oleksandr Karpov

Posted at 3:47 pm July 22, 2016.

Hello,
can anybody clarify what is going on and what I should do with my eths in my wallet?
I do not understand anything. I have eths in my wallet and now I do not understand what I should do and will I loose my ths or not? should I accept the dialog that latest eth wallet shows? are my eths will legal and safe? or I should register a new eth account and move them?

Thx

Author jjmr007

Posted at 7:16 am July 26, 2016.

Olek first of all, check your balances in https://etherscan.io/
    Place your address accounts to see how much ether, and contract tokens they have at the
    “search by address/ Txhash / BlockNo”. If you see your expected balances, everything is Ok.
    If you are going to use your coins as ETHER, there is no problem, you don’t have to do any thing.
    If you want to use your ethers as Etherium Classic, you need to install some core client and resync all the blockchin in your pc… If you have your ethers before july 20, then you have ethers in the both chains. (But I agree with you, there is a lot of confussion)

Author Oleksandr Karpov

Posted at 10:52 am July 26, 2016.

What the difference between ETHER and Etherium Classic?
      What type did we have before this and what type is legal and official after that?
      I see my balance and I have updated Eth Wallet to the latest one and accepted the first-dialog request. but want to know if I should do anything else to be official.
      and what do you mean resync? how do I do it?

Author Joseph Coco

Posted at 9:29 pm July 24, 2016.

Assuming I’m not gung-ho against the hard fork, but I voted to reject it, do I need to change my vote to accept it to continue mining on the blockchain 85+% of other miners are using?

Author Swapster_com

Posted at 4:04 am July 25, 2016.

Poloniex…. made this ugly. Oh well… the headache continues… unless you just don’t care which chain wins out. Easy if you didn’t buy ETH with cash.

Author Maurício Armani Lopes

Posted at 6:20 am July 25, 2016.

Thankfully we learned it now. A consensus like this should be very difficult in the future. Some bads comes for the good.

Author Adrian

Posted at 2:37 pm July 26, 2016.

Could you guys post anywhere a step by step guide of how to sell ethereum tokens from the abandoned chain without risking the ethereum from the main chain ?