Ethereum Blog

Security alert – All geth nodes crash due to an out of memory bug

Posted on .

Security Alert

Affected configurations: Geth

Likelihood: High

Severity: High

Summary: geth nodes running out of memory and crashing on block https://etherchain.org/block/2283416

Details: TBD

Solution: Geth 1.4.12 was released. Please update ASAP.

profile

Jeffrey Wilcke

Comments
user

Author Get Liquid!

Posted at 12:51 am September 19, 2016.

shitcoin

Author Team Jinx

Posted at 1:17 am September 19, 2016.

Lol @ you.

Author Lanskoj Roman

Posted at 1:17 am September 19, 2016.

let’s buy it – 1 billion usd

Author trustfarm

Posted at 6:03 am September 19, 2016.

I’ve uploaded ubuntu build and applied to ethereum node.
but, there’s no synchronize progress some time hang on 2,283,416 but, etherchain’s now 2,285,536

Author mebenhack

Posted at 2:36 am September 20, 2016.

That’s the block that forces the leak. It feels like you’re still running the old geth.

Author trustfarm

Posted at 6:33 am September 19, 2016.

It looks this version works well , sync finished and run.

Author Tlogs

Posted at 11:33 pm September 19, 2016.

Hi everyone,

To address the geth bug, I’m interested in updating geth within Mist 0-5-2 since I’d have to go through a similar geth upgrade if I migrated to Mist 0-8-2 at this time (correct?).. Figured I might as well wait for an updated mist version with the Geth change, however I would like access to my account in Mist in the short term.

If using Mist 0-5-2, what file/s do I replace with ‘go-ethereum-1.4.12’ ?? Also do I utilize the whole ‘go-ethereum-1.4.12’ file folder when replacing?

Currently in 0-5-2 it looks like the geth application is stored under resources>node>geth. However its an application not a file folder… Do I just replace the geth folder containing the application with ‘go-ethereum-1.4.12’ ? I didn’t see an application file in the release.

Thanks for addressing these rookie questions! I’m not a computer programmer by any means and am floundering with the technical aspects.

From California with Love!

Author mebenhack

Posted at 2:08 am September 20, 2016.

Same question here with Mist 0.8.2 – folder structure looks the same as above poster described for Mist 0.5.2 so I would expect the answer is the same for both versions.

Thanks!

Author Манас Джаманкараев

Posted at 7:52 am September 20, 2016.

Hi all
pls help
how to update this hotfix?
i am noob on programming

Author Ngoc Duc Nguyen

Posted at 9:05 am September 20, 2016.

I’m using mist 0-8-2. How can i update this hotfix?

Author Jason Granger

Posted at 2:12 pm September 21, 2016.

Is Geth update and node sync supposed to take longer to update the block? I actually followed directions to install Homebrew (for Mac) then ran:

brew tap ethereum/ethereum
brew install ethereum
brew install ethereum –devel
geth account new
geth

It’s syncing about 1 block/minute and terminal keeps sending the message for various peers: timed out DAO fork-check, dropping

Any help would be greatly appreciated.